Literacy is crucial to a child's lifelong health, behaviour and
learning. Research has also concluded that literacy skills are
established early in life. The literacy initiative is designed
to strengthen, support and promote effective literacy and language
development for families of children from 0-6 years of age.
Early Literacy Coordinator
The Early Literacy Coordinator position was introduced in 2001
in conjunction with the development of the Ontario Early Years
The Early Literacy Coordinator's role is to support, strengthen,
monitor and promote early literacy and language development in
• workshops for practitioners and parents on current brain
research and literacy development.
• presentations to support the development of early literacy
skills in children 0-6 years of age.
• standardized checklist for program self-evaluation around
healthy language and literacy development.
• lending library of early literacy resources and materials.
• establish linkages with libraries, school boards, service
providers and programs, Ontario Works, Child Care Centres, Home
Child Care agencies, Literacy Associations etc.
For the Algoma Best Start, contact the Early Literacy Coordinator
Children’s Centre/Best Start Hub
Phone: 705-856-2178 or 1-800-482-4454 press option 3